- This event has passed.
Online Worship Service – Pentecost
May 31, 2020 @ 10:30 am - 11:30 am
Pentecost Sunday. Wear Red!
- The Right Preference – Pastor Jack Mannschreck. In this scripture we consider the preferences of our mission field over our own preferences. In these two of our ongoing perspectives we will consider 6) the mission field will tell you what time, day of the week, and style your worship service should be and 7) worship changes represent culture change and culture change takes 5 to 7 years. It makes sense that if we want to grow as a church and if we want our worship experiences to reach more people, it is essential to learn the best approaches to meeting the needs of those we wish to reach. On that first Pentecost Sunday, the followers of Jesus found themselves speaking different languages of all those who were gathered in Jerusalem; many different languages for people from many different lands. It makes sense, then, that we must learn the language of those we are trying to reach – to learn their preferences, their schedules, their needs. Does that necessarily mean that we ignore our own preferences? No, but it does mean that we should shape our worship experiences with the intent of meeting the needs of others as well.
- Romans 12:1-10
- Acts 2:1-21
What Is Pentecost?
One of the principal days of the Christian year celebrated on the fiftieth day after Easter. The Greek word pentecoste means “fiftieth day.” Pentecost is the day on which the Christian church commemorates the coming of the Holy Spirit upon the apostles and others assembled in Jerusalem. It marks the beginning of the Christian church and the proclamation of its message throughout the world, and is often referred to as the “birthday of the church.” The liturgical color for Pentecost is red. Traditionally, Pentecost has been a day for baptisms. Because it was the custom in the early church for persons being baptized to wear white robes or clothing, the day also became known as Whitsunday, a contraction of white Sunday.
Join Us on Facebook Live!
- Click here to go directly to the Facebook Livestream.
- Hop on a few minutes early. If you’re having trouble, leave a comment and we’ll help out.
- Click here to download the Order of Worship.
- Click here to download Pastor Jack’s Message Notes.
If You Have Streaming Issues (choppy, freezing, etc.), Check the Following:
- Make sure that your internet isn’t being used for something else.
- Remember, if someone is watching Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, or another streaming video service, that is taking up your Internet bandwidth. Ditto if anyone in the household is streaming music from Spotify, YouTube, or a similar service.
- Your phone may also be using bandwidth if you’re logged into your home wireless network. And, if anyone is streaming video or music to a phone or tablet, that’s using your Internet bandwidth. If anyone is having a Zoom meeting, that is using your bandwidth.
- If you begin watching the stream and it freezes and doesn’t “catch up” in 30 seconds or so, close Facebook and re-join the stream. We’ve had folks report that this has solved their issue.
- A few of us have been “kicked off” of the Facebook stream for no apparent reason. If this happens, just go back and join in again.
- If you’re on Facebook but don’t see the live video, wait a few minutes. We start the live stream at 10:25, but there is about a 2-minute delay on the live video. If you’ve been waiting a while and still don’t see the live video, leave the page, then come back.